Chicken is the most flexible; literally and figuratively; meat in the meat spectrum. There are so many things that you can cook. I would stretch and say that we might even create new dishes with experiments. With a few inspired choices your recipes can easily be the talk of the neighborhood and bring you fame. But let’s catch our breath here. It is established that chicken is an all-rounder meat. So it would be safe to say a casserole dish is also a great addition. But we should veer away from the self-indulgent flavor bombs and try to eat as healthy as possible.
So for that reason, today we will look at a low fat chicken casserole recipe. Today’s recipe will focus on a chicken enchilada casserole with brown rice. This dish not only serves as a zinger of a lunch or dinner, but also a healthy regular for your dining pleasure.
- Organic Germinated Brown Rice – 1.5 cups (truRoots is preferable)
- yellow pepper – 1 medium in size, have to be diced (amounts to 1 cup)
- green pepper- 1 medium in size, have diced (amounts to 1cup)
- purple onion -1 cup, has to be finely diced (amounts to 1 cup)
- green chilies – 1 4.5 oz.size of can(amounts to 5 tablespoons)
- black beans – 1 15 oz.size can, has to be drained
- Chicken breast -15 oz. 2 large pieces
- enchilada sauce – 3 cups
- chicken broth* – 1 cup (might be changed)
- garlic powder – 1 tablespoon
- ground cumin – 1 tablespoon
- salt – 1/4 tablespoon
- Mexican cheddar cheese – 1 cup (optional and necessary)
- fresh cilantro – amount depends on taste
- a squeeze of lime – according to taste
- First you have to preheat oven to 375ºF and spray your casserole dishwith coconut oil cooking spray(Spray as much as possible)
- For the next step, you have to prepare the vegetables. You have to dice the yellow and green peppers and finely dice the purple onion. Once cut sprinkle and spread out the vegetable pieces into the casserole dish.
- Prepare the chicken breast. You have to cut the chicken into small pieces and then place it on top of vegetables.
- Add in Germinated Brown Rice, green chilies, and black beans.
- Now sprinkle out the garlic powder, ground cumin, and salt on the vegetables and chicken. Then, add in enchilada sauce and broth.
- Mix the components with a large spoon. Press all the solid contents into the liquid so that everything is covered using hands.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Next, remove and stir. The mixture willfeel a little like soup, though there is nothing to worry about.Put it back in the oven for 30 minutes, make sure to cover it.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle over the cheese, if you want. Put it back in the oven for about 3-5 minutes to fully melt the cheese.
- Finally, remove the dish and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before slicing it up and serving. Add toppings with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
For better results
- You can opt to substitute water or vegetable broth for chicken broth
- Keep in mind to let your casserole sit for at least 5-10 minutes to both cool and continue cooking. In the case of your brown rice being a little crunchy, if you let it sit and cover it; this will help it continue to cook.
- You can also want to substitute the long grain white rice for the germinated brown rice with a ratio of 1:1.
- In case of using long grain brown rice you need to cook your casserole for a 30 minutes to an hour depending on the variation of rice being cooked.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time – 00:60 hours
- Total time – 1:15 hours
This recipe will serve 8 people
- Calories: 312 grams
- Sugar: 5milligrams
- Sodium: 770 milligrams
- Fat: 3milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 52milligrams
- Fiber: 10milligrams
- Protein: 19milligrams