Every time you think of spicing up the dinner table with a killer recipe, your mind wanders to the international flavors of China, Italy, France and many other nations. Food is a language of the soul, and Italian dinner delicacies have a special place in every foodie’s heart. In that regard for a healthy and tasty Italian treat we have Chicken Florentine.
Chicken Florentine is a casserole type of dish and the chicken is on top of spinach and mushrooms. It has a really creamy white sauce made with garlic, Italian toppings, and Parmesan cheese. The dish is also topped with baked mozzarella cheese. So let’s break down each of the parts one by one.
- 4 pieces of chicken breasts – has to be boneless and spineless
- Salt – according to taste
- Black pepper – ground and according to taste
- All-purpose flour – ½ cups, for dredging
- Unsalted butter- 6 tablespoons or 3-4 sticks, has to be divided
- Onions – 2 tablespoons, finely diced
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Dry white wine – 1 and a ½ cups
- Whipping cream – 1 cup
- Frozen cut leaf Spinach – 2 packages (10 ounce), has to be thawed, drained
- Chopped fresh parsley – 1 tablespoon
- Firstly you have to sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Then dredge the chicken in the flour in order to coat lightly. After that make sure to shake off any excess flour.
- Then melt 2 tablespoons of butter,in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side after the butter is melted.
- Move the chicken to a plate carefully and cover it with foil to keep it warm.
- Again melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Make sure to not clean the skillet.
- For about one minute, add the onions and garlic and sauté until the point the onions become translucent, .Make sure that you use a wooden spoon or spatula. This enables you to stir and scrape the brown parts into form
- Carefully pour in the wine, after removing pan from stove.
- Now put the pan into the stove and raise the heat to medium-high. Keep boiling until the liquid is lessened by half, for 3 minutes.
- Next put the cream and boil until the sauce is reduced by half, keep stirring in intervals, for 3 minutes.
- Now the parsley is sprinkled.
- With salt and pepper, season the sauce. Make sure that you try it as you go. This helps to determine the correct amount.
- Now the chicken is returned with any accumulated juices straight into the sauce. According to your choice, you may turn the chicken to coat in the sauce or you can do it over at the time of serving. In this way the cooking of the chicken is finished. Now turn down the heat to low/warming.
- While the previous step is happening, you have to melt the last 2 tablespoons of butter in a separate large skillet over medium heat. After that add the spinach and sauté up to the time it’s heated through.
- Now the spinach is seasoned with salt and pepper according to test.
- On a platter put on the spinach. Then put the chicken on top of the spinach. On top of it all pour the sauce. And serve
For best results, you can add more salt. As the spinach may be under-salted.
Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: 00:20 hours (20 minutes)
Total time: 00:30 hours (30 minutes)
Yield: 4 per serving
Nutritional facts: fats and calorie count
Serving size: 100 grams
Total calories: 482.2
Total fat: 15.6 grams
Saturated fats: 7.9 grams
Polyunsaturated fats: 1.6 grams
Monounsaturated fats: 3.8 grams
Thawing and drying tips:
Thaw the frozen spinach with the package intact in the freezerfor about two daysbefore or for several hours at room temperature. Thaw multiple packages side by side, not stacked, which takes more time. Be sure packages are in a bowl or bag to prevent leakage.
The microwave does a very good last-minute job of thawing spinach in advance. But be careful to not cook the, it’s just for thawing.
In a clean dish towel and squeeze it dry place thawed spinach.
Defrost the frozen spinach in its package in the refrigerator as much as two days prior or at room temperature. Defrostmany packages side by side. Don’t stack the packages. Stacking takes more time. To prevent leaks, keep the packages in a bowl.